Italian food is one of the hardest cravings to hack when you are living Paleo, but I knew that with a few tweaks that we could be Mangia! Mangia! with the best. Serve with Pesto Cream sauce or a classic red, either way you won’t be disappointed!
This recipe is for 4 people, cut in half for two.
- Boil potatoes until tender, drain and process through a ricer then set aside in a bowl to cool.
- If you don’t own a ricer, a fine mesh strainer works great. Just push the potatoes through the strainer over a bowl.
- Once cooled, stir in eggs, potato starch and seasonings and mix mix mix!
- Knead the dough on your counter, roll out in thick & long ropes, then 3/4″ pieces. ** Ultimately you want a pretzel nugget looking product
- If you have a Gnocchi board you can roll each piece across to make the trademark lines, if you don’t have a board a fork works well.
- Boil a large pot of water, add one tsp of salt from the start.
- Drop gnocchi in the water, cook until they float then remove with a slotted spoon
- Serve with the pesto sauce or a classic red
- If you prefer a toasted gnocchi, once out of the water heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil in a pan, cook in a single layer until browned on each side and enjoy!
- Mix it all but the cashew milk in a food processor, use more oil if your pesto is too thick. ** I personally love the Ninja Chef food processor. It’s always out on my countertop ready to use from smoothies to soups and anything blended in between.
- Heat 1 tsp of ghee in a sauce pan, stir in 1 teaspoon of arrowroot powder to make a roux and slowly pour in the cashew milk to create a thick cream.
- Let the cream cool, and then mix in 1/4 cup of the pesto and serve over gnocchi
- Store in the fridge for a few days, great on eggs!